Embark On An Adventure In Kandy Sri Lanka Where Enigma Awaits
Kandy in Sri Lanka is a bustling city located, a destination that has had a lasting impact on the hearts and minds of travel enthusiasts. The city is filled with peaceful sounds of hymns, a charming atmosphere, and a wondrous natural setting.
- Where is Kandy located in Sri Lanka?
- What to do in Kandy Sri Lanka to make a memorable experience in Sri Lanka?
Visitors to Sri Lanka will be mesmerized by the exquisite beauty and many activities available in Kandy, making a trip to Kendy filled with unforgettable memories.
Renowned as an important center of Buddhism, Kandy exudes a sense of peace. The city is dotted with couples enjoying romantic moments at restaurants overlooking Kandy Lake, well-dressed women, kind and cheerful locals making gestures of warmth, and historic landmarks with stunning views, all contribute to making Kandy an attractive destination in Sri Lanka.
Where is Kandy located in Sri Lanka?
Kandy is a city nestled in the hills of Sri Lanka's central province, Kandy is a vibrant city with a rich history. It is located approximately 116 km East of Colombo, the capital city of Sri Lanka. Kandy is a cultural and historical hub, with a rich heritage and numerous iconic landmarks. The city is also known for its scenic beauty, with lush greenery and mountains surrounding it. With its stunning natural beauty and diverse cultural heritage, Kandy is a must-visit destination for travelers exploring the heart of Sri Lanka.
With an altitude of 1640 feet (500 meters) above sea level and surrounded by the Knuckles and Hunnasgiriya Mountain Ranges, Kandy offers a more pleasant climate than the lowlands.
What to do in Kandy Sri Lanka to make a memorable experience in Sri Lanka?
If you are planning to visit Kandy Sri Lanka, you should prepare a list of what to do in Kandy Sri Lanka and what to see in Kandy Sri Lanka in order not to be confused when traveling there. Kandy Sri Lanka offers a lot of beautiful destinations for you to explore for your upcoming holiday trips.
1. Visit the unique Temple of the Tooth
The Sri Dalada Maligawa, popularly referred to as the Temple of the Tooth, is an enchanting Buddhist temple situated in the center of Kandy. It is, in fact, one of the most revered places of worship all over the world and an integral part of the Ramayana tour. Located inside the royal palace complex that belonged to the former Kingdom of Kandy, this beautiful white temple complex is known to house a relic of the tooth of Buddha wrapped up in numerous golden boxes adorned with precious jewels. Visiting this UNESCO World Heritage Site is an excellent way to spend a night in Kandy, offering a serene and calming atmosphere.
To avoid the crowds and witness the mesmerizing sight of the Buddha's real tooth relic, it is advisable to visit early in the morning. Additionally, the Kandy Esala Perahera, or Festival of the Tooth, is a vibrant and significant ten-day religious celebration that takes place every August. The Temple of the Tooth is a must-visit attraction in Kandy, not only due to its religious significance but also its splendid interiors.
Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic or Sri Dalada Maligawa in Kandy, Sri Lanka
2. Explore the Kandy Botanical Gardens
The Kandy Botanical Gardens offer an ideal getaway from the city's heat and provide an opportunity to revel in the tropical beauty of nature. The garden is home to more than 4000 species of plants, including orchids, spices, medicinal plants, and palm trees. It is a 147 acre - of natural elegance holding landscaped gardens and scenic beauty, making it a photographer's dream. One of the main attractions of the gardens is the impressive variety of orchids on display in a range of colors and types.
Located just 15 minutes to the West of Kandy, the Royal Kandy Botanical Gardens is a popular destination for people of all ages, particularly on weekends. Visitors can take a leisurely stroll around the garden, unwind on the lawn or refresh at a nearby cafe.
Couple visiting palm alley at Royal Botanical Gardens in Kandy Sri Lanka
3. Ride the Kandy to Ella train
The train journey from Kandy to Ella is widely regarded as the most exquisite train ride in Sri Lanka and possibly even the world! The train ride from Kandy To Ella is an unforgettable experience that takes you on a scenic adventure through verdant tea plantations, mountains, valleys, viaducts, and dense jungle. The train journey offers a unique way to immerse yourself in Sri Lankan culture, where you can interact with friendly locals on the train, witness running children along the tracks, and savor the spicy snacks offered by vendors who hop on board at each stop. The Kandy to Ella train ride is a must-try for those who appreciate natural beauty and cultural immersion, as it provides an opportunity to explore the heart and soul of Sri Lanka.
Capturing moments on the Sri Lanka train journey
4. Visit the Royal Palace of Kandy
Kandy’s legacy and heritage remain incomplete without getting a glimpse of the Royal Palace of Kandy, situated North of the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy. Built-in the 14th century, the palace was the residence of the Kandyan monarchs until the British annexation in 1815. The palace complex consists of several buildings, including the Audience Hall, the Queen’s Palace, and the Royal Temple of the Tooth. Today, the palace has been converted into the National Museum of Kandy, which exhibits a vast collection of artifacts and relics from the Kandyan era, including ancient weapons, jewelry, and artwork. Visitors can explore the elegant architecture, intricate wood carvings, and delicate paintings that adorn the palace's interiors and learn about Kandy's rich history and culture.
5. Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage
Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage is a popular tourist attraction located in Pinnawala, Sri Lanka. The orphanage was established in 1975 with the aim of providing shelter and care to orphaned elephants found in the wild. Today, it is home to over 80 elephants, including baby elephants who were born at the orphanage. Visitors can watch these gentle giants roam freely, bathe in the nearby river, and interact with their caretakers. It's an excellent opportunity for animal lovers to see these majestic creatures up close and personal while also supporting a noble cause. The animals are really friendly and if tourists jump into the water with them they spray them with water from the trunk.
Elephants at the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage in Central Sri Lanka
6. Horton Plains National Park
Horton Plains National Park is situated in the central highlands of Sri Lanka at an elevation of 2,300 meters. This government-protected area is a natural wonder that consists of montane grasslands and cloudy forests, hosting an array of rare plant and animal species, amidst spectacular jungles and mountains on one side, and a plateau on the other. The park is renowned for its breathtaking ‘World’s End Cliff’, which drops 880 meters down steeply, marking the end of the plateau in dramatic fashion. The most popular activity in the park is hiking to the cliff, where visitors can enjoy panoramic views of numerous lakes, waterfalls, hills, and even the sparkling ocean.
View from World's End in Horton Plains National Park, Sri Lanka
Kandy in Sri Lanka is undoubtedly a spiritual haven, but if you're seeking excitement, plenty of thrilling activities in and around the city keep you engaged. Don't miss out on the great things to do in Kandy, and discover all these charming place offers. Getting the access permit by applying for a Sri Lanka e-visa in a few minutes. Before applying, please check your eligibility to ensure your nationality meets the e-visa requirements. Contact us through Sri Lanka Immigration Services if you have any questions or problems regarding e-visa Sri Lanka.
- Best Deals on Duty-Free Shopping in Sri Lanka
- A Guide to Maha Shivaratri Festival in Sri Lanka
- The Vibrant and Festive Poson Poya Festival in Sri Lanka
- Best Restaurants In Colombo That Every Tourist Must Visit
- National Museum Of Colombo: Top Of Sri Lanka Travel Bucket List
- The best time to visit Sri Lanka
- Start Your Family Holiday To Sri Lanka With Top 5 Amazing Places
- The Romance Of The Rails: A Sri Lankan Train Journey Through Time
- Top Things To Do In Galle When Traveling To Sri Lanka
- The Significance Of Sri Lanka Languages In Building A Harmonious Society
- A Complete Guide Of Ambuluwawa Tower In Sri Lanka
- Understanding Colombo's Weather Patterns: Hot or Humid?
- Tuk Tuk Adventure in Sri Lanka: Riding with the Wind
- Sri Lanka Traditional Dress: A Window into The Rich Heritage
- Sri Lanka Travel Places: Highlights & The 8 Top Best Destinations
- Dambulla Sri Lanka - Explore The Rich Cultural Heritage
- Top 6 Things To Do In Ella Sri Lanka That You Should Add To Your Trip
- Nuwara Eliya Sri Lanka - A Perfect Trip To Unwind
- Sigiriya Sri Lanka - Masterpiece Lion Fortress In The Middle Of The Jungle
- The Best Hotels In Sri Lanka Available Across All Price Ranges
- A Guide To The Best Sri Lanka Money Exchange Options For Maximizing Value
- Escape to Paradise: Your Guide to Traveling from the UK to Sri Lanka
- Uncover the Beauty of Sri Lanka: A Guide to Traveling from India
- Stay Up-to-Date: A Guide to Sri Lanka's Latest Travel Restriction
- Discover the Best Time to Visit Sri Lanka: A Guide to the Weather
- Top 5 Most Beautiful Beaches In Sri Lanka For Your Vacation
- Top 10 Tourist Attractions In Sri Lanka Worth Visiting For International Travelers
- The Most Beautiful Places In Sri Lanka For A One Day Trip
- Essential things to know before traveling to Sri Lanka
- Check Out 7 Star Hotels in Sri Lanka For Your Bucket List
- The Best Travel Guide For Sri Lanka For First-Time Tourists
- Transit visa in Sri Lanka
- Travel to Sri Lanka without PCR tests
- Top 5 Best Tourist Places In Sri Lanka For Your Trip
- An old friend in Sri Lanka is missing you on Friendship day
- International Women’s Day
- Love Is In The Air
- Happy Pongal Day 2020
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Diwali - the festival of lights
- Travel is better with friends. 35% e-Visa discount for you and your friends to travel the world
- PACK YOUR BACK BECAUSE SUMMER IS BACK!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- SLTDA Training for Tuk Drivers and Homestay Operators in Ella
- Summer 2018 hot deal of eVISA
- Top 15 famous Souvenirs and Gifts to pick in Sri Lanka (Part 1)
- 10 Sri Lankan foods that you are unable to forget – Part 2
- 300 Cheaper eVisa on Easter Day!
- 10 Sri Lankan foods are unable to forget – Part 1
- Sri Lanka at a Glance
- 10 Good Reasons to Visit Sri Lanka
- Horse Races & Carnivals in Nuwara Eliya - April 2016
- Sri Lankan Public Holidays 2016
- First Safari Park in Sri Lanka opens tomorrow
- A Would-Be Wi-Fi Paradise
- After success in Indonesia, ZEN Rooms expands to Sri Lanka and three other countries
- SL named top tourist destination for 2016
HOW CAN WE HELP?
NEED HELP 24/7
How it works ?
APPLY WITH CONFIDENCE