Sri Lanka to implement a new visa policy with effect from April 2018
Sri Lanka is set to implement a new visa policy with effect from April this year (2018).
Speaking to the Sunday times Immigration and Emigration Controller General S. Ranasinghe elaborated on the new policy which is expected to be rolled out under three stages from the 2nd of April.
Under the new visa policies, Sri Lankans who have obtained citizenship in other countries will be able to obtain a lifetime permanent resident visa in Sri Lanka for USD 1,500, with permission to work. The conditions regarding employment are expected to be announced soon.
The new visa policy rewards foreign investors with residents’ visas. Those bringing in investments of at least USD 500,000 would be offered a 10-year resident visa while those making an investment of US$ 300,000 would be able to obtain a five-year resident visa.
In a bid to attract more tourists to the country, online visa regulations will be relaxed by extending the one month visa to three months for citizens of 28 countries on additional payment of USD 100. The visa fee for other countries is to be reduced to USD 60.
On the flipside, the penalty for overstaying visas have been increased. Those overstaying visas more than one day will be charged US$ 500. At present those who overstay their visas for more than a month are imposed a fine of USD 25, while those who overstay for more than two months are required to pay US$ 50.
Student visas have also been relaxed and will now be issued for the full duration of the course instead of getting the visa extended periodically.
- Sri Lanka to issue free visas for Chinese tourists from Aug. 1
- Srilanka updates free Tourist Visa Government fee for 45 countries
- New software streamlines visa application process for corporate travel departments
- Visa-free entry for Indian tourists to Sri Lanka likely on the cards
- Guide to renew Sri Lanka ETA
- Sri Lanka visa rules: Holiday requirements for Brits to get into Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka cuts off visas on arrival to stop flow of Muslims from Rakhine
HOW CAN WE HELP?
NEED HELP 24/7
How it works ?
APPLY WITH CONFIDENCE