Sri Lanka visa for Australian citizens: Requirements and Costs
Sri Lanka is a country located in the middle of the Indian Ocean. This is a tourist destination loved by many Australians because of its unspoiled natural beauty, with vast forests, beautiful beaches, stretching palm trees….
If you are an Australian planning a trip to Sri Lanka, the first thing you need to do is apply for a visa to Sri Lanka.
This article will explain the entire process to get a Sri Lankan visa for Australian citizens, as well as the requirements and costs.
1. The Sri Lanka e-Visa requirements for Australian citizens
Many countries in the world do not require Australian passport holders to have a pre-approved visa upon arrival, but Sri Lanka is not one of them. So, Sri Lanka visa is required when Australian citizens come to this country.
The Sri Lanka ETA visa makes it easy to get pre-approval, but depending on the type of travel they are doing as well as the amount of time they will spend in Sri Lanka.
In the fact, the Sri Lanka e-visa for Australian citizens has three types of ETAs that can apply for:
- Tourist ETA: allows you to stay in Sri Lanka for up to 30 days from the date of your arrival with double-entry. You can use this ETA type to enter Sri Lanka for tourism, visitation, and medical treatment, including Ayurvedic and yoga classes.
- Business ETA: allows you to stay in Sri Lanka for up to 30 days from the date of your arrival and multiple-entry in advance, used when you have business and trading purposes but not for employment.
- Transit ETA: used when you need to transit in Sri Lanka before going to a third country, allows you to stay in Sri Lanka for 48 hours only.
The Sri Lanka e-visa for Australian citizens has three types of ETAs that can apply for
2. Step by step to apply for the Sri Lanka visa from Australia
It is very simple to get a Sri Lanka online visa for Australian citizens and now it is even easier with our support. Travelers with Australian passports just need to follow these only 3 steps below:
- Step 1: Filling the Sri Lanka ETA application form with the information about your trip and personal details.
- Step 2: Pay for your order's total cost. Check your email to receive advice (if any) and your approved ETA/e-Visa.
- Step 3: Print it out and present it when you enter Sri Lanka.
The Australian travelers need to provide information such as their full name, their date of birth, and their current address.
Acceptable reasons for traveling to Sri Lanka under any of the three ETAs are tourism, transit, and business.
The e-Visa/ETA is should be printed out in a hard copy and carried in your passport.
Make sure your Australian passport is valid for at least 180 days on the intended date of travel and at least one visa page is free of any markings.
Apply for Sri Lanka Visa online from Australia easily
3. The fee of Sri Lanka visa for Australian citizens
To get a Sri Lanka visa for Australian citizens, you have to pay two (02) kinds of Sri Lanka Visa fees, including a Service fee and a Government fee.
Now, the Sri Lanka ETA visa service has 3 different fee levels, including:
- The first, normal service: This is one of the most cost-effective options which can help you get your ETA within 3 business days.
- The second, urgent service: Sri Lanka electronic visa approximately within 24 hours.
- The third, super urgent service: If you have an emergency, by using this service type, you can receive your e-Visa within 5 business hours.
To give you a better experience in Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka Immigration Services have opened a car pick-up service. With just one simple click, you can book yourself a shuttle service as soon as you arrive in Sri Lanka.
Hope this article was explain how to apply for a Sri Lanka visa for Australian citizens as well as the requirements and costs. Please contact us if you need assistance with online Visa information or services for the Sri Lanka trip. Our team - an experienced travel consultant - will help you get your e-Visa/ETA to go travel in Sri Lanka effortlessly.
- Sri Lanka visa for British citizens
- Sri Lanka visa for Afghanistan citizens
- Sri Lanka visa for Svalbard
- Visa to Sri Lanka for US citizens
- Sri Lanka visa for Pakistani passport hoders
- Sri Lanka visa for Brazilian
Sri Lanka Visa Requirements for Australia Citizens FAQs
Yes. Australian citizens need a visa to travel to Sri Lanka because Australia is not on the exemption list for Sri Lanka visas. Australian citizens now can apply for a Sri Lanka electronic visa which saves time and costs.
Since 2012, travelers who want to enter Sri Lanka for a short-term visit can take advantage of the Sri Lanka ETA. This type of online visa allows visitors to visit Sri Lanka for purposes such as tourism, business, or transit. The visa application process is simple and just takes the applicants a few minutes to complete.
Australian citizens who want to come to Sri lanka for other purposes such as study abroad, work, etc, need to apply for a visa at the Sri lanka consulate in Australia or anywhere.
The Sri Lanka eTA has a validity of 180 days after being issued.
Sri Lanka online visa for Australian citizens can be obtained from Australia or anywhere in the world. With a valid eTA, you can stay in Sri Lanka for up to 30 days and the number of entries may vary depending on what type of visa you are applying for.
The following are some required data that on the Sri Lanka ETA visa application:
- Visa details (number of visa, type of visa, processing time)
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Passport number
- Some trip information (date of arrival and departure)
Before submitting the application, British are encouraged to review the form and double-check the information to ensure it is correct and spelled correctly.
Yes. Australian citizens need a transit visa when having a transit flight in Sri Lanka.
Applying for a transit visa is easy even when you are in Australia or anywhere in the world, just a device with an internet connection (smartphone, tablet, laptop, ..)
Owning a transit visa will help you get to Sri Lanka easily and stay up to 2 days (48 hours). However, you can only stay at the port of entry (airport, ..) while waiting for the connecting flight. This means that, if Australian citizens leave the airport, it is a violation of the rules of entry with a transit visa.
Yes. Australian visitors who wish to stay more than 30 days in Sri Lanka may apply for a visa extension. The short-term visit visa may be extended a maximum of up to 270 days from the date of arrival in three consecutive instances as granted 30 days on entry, 60 days at the first extension, and 90 days for the second and third instances.
Australian travelers need to submit their visa extension request at the Department of Immigration & Immigration (Head office). They can extend their stay in Sri Lanka with a tourist visa and a business visa. The transit electronic visa cannot be extended.
Sri Lanka Immigration Services strongly advise Australian travelers to apply for a visa extension in advance of the expiration date of their visa to avoid fines and inconveniences. If they extend the validity of their visa, they risk having their extension request denied, or even being detained.
Australian travelers need to register themselves by providing the requested details. They will be required to provide some details and upload some documents. In addition, Australian passport holders also need to make an appointment at the Head Office of the Department of Immigration and Emigration to pay for and endorse the visa on their passports.
Currently, Sri Lanka Immigration service offers 3 levels for customers to choose from, depending on the urgency to get the visa online.
For rush cases, the process of getting an e-visa will be shortened. Accordingly, you will receive an approved visa as soon as possible, helping your trip to go as planned.
- Normal visa: Get the approval visa in 3 days
- Urgent visa: Get the approval visa in 24 hours
- Super Urgent visa: Get the approval visa in 5 hours
Please note, the faster your visa processing time, the higher your service fee will be.