Sri Lanka visa for Indian citizens: Requirements and Fees
Sri Lanka visa requirements for Indian citizens are no longer the same to before. Instead of standing in line at the embassy or consulate, or even at the airport and waiting for your turn to apply Sri Lanka visa online, now you could get a Sri Lanka e-visa conveniently and quickly right at your home.
Being a neighbouring country of India, the movement between the two countries is easy. This article contains all of the information Indian travelers need about the Sri Lanka visa requirements for Indian citizens, visa fees, and how to apply for a Sri Lanka visa for Indian citizens.
Lets discover with Sri Lanka Immigration Services!
1. Sri Lanka Visa for Indian citizens
As mentioned above, Indians traveling to Sri Lanka for tourism, transit, or business should have an e-visa, known as ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization), to enter and exit the country.
The electronic travel authorization is available as either:
- Sri Lanka Tourist visa online: Allows Indians to travel to Sri Lanka for vacation, to visit friends or relatives, or to compete in a sporting or cultural event. It allows for two entries into Sri Lanka, with each entry allowing for a stay of up to 30 days.
- Sri Lanka Business Visa online: Allows entry into Sri Lanka or participation in business activities such as meetings or contract negotiations, attending conferences and seminars, or completing short training courses. It is a multiple entry authorization that allows for 30-day stays.
- Sri Lanka Transit Visa application: It is a single entry authorization with a total stay of up to 2 days and a validity period of 6 months from approval date.
Approved electronic travel authorization for Indian citizens is valid for 6 months from the date of issue, regardless of which type of Sri Lanka ETA the applicant requires.
Sri Lanka visa for Indian citizens
2. Sri Lanka visa requirements for Indian citizens
An electronic travel authorization application is typically processed within 3 business days. It is easy to prepare the documents to apply for it because of the policy aiming to develop the tourism field of the Sri Lanka government.
Here's all that you'll need to get ready: A copy of your valid passport. All Indian nationals must have a valid passport that is valid for at least 6 months after their arrival in Sri Lanka and at least 1 blank page for stamping.
Besides that, in some cases, the government could require some additional documents. For example, if your vaccination certificate does not meet the requirement, you will have to stay for a certain hotel in the list regulated by the government during your trip. Or including a Sri Lanka Insurance for travelers in your procedure is an advantage for approval.
Please take note that the email you provide us has to be a valid email address. We will collect your ETA from the government and send it to you in PDF format via email, so make sure you provide an email address to which you have access. Remember to print a physical copy before you leave.
Sri Lanka Visa requirements for Indian citizens
3. Sri Lanka visa fees for Indian
To apply for a Sri Lanka Visa for Indian citizens online, you will pay two (02) kinds of Sri Lanka visa cost, which are called Service fees and Government fees. The government fee varies depending on the type of ETA visa / e-visa you choose and the service fee is changed following the processing time you want.
About the time of the whole process, once after you send us all the documents we consult, we give you three options, and each one comes with its own fee. They depend on your circumstance:
- Normal: this is the cheapest and slowest option. Your application is processed within 3 days.
- Urgent: This time, your ETA visa / e-Visa arrives in just 24 hours.
- Super urgent: It only takes 5 hours for your application to be processed.
There are 2 ways you can choose to complete the payment: electronic and wire transfer. If you are in a hurry and do not have much time for paperwork, we recommend using electronic payment, such as Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Paypal.
4. How to apply for a Sri Lanka ETA/e-visa for Indians?
You can complete the Sri Lanka ETA visa application from India in a matter of minutes using any device with an internet connection. Simply follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Complete the Sri Lanka Visa online form with your basic personal, passport, and travel information.
- Step 2: Pay the Sri Lanka online visa fee securely with your valid credit or debit card information.
- Step 3: Receive an approved Sri Lanka ETA visa / e-visa of yours via email.
Your effort on getting e-visa will be reduced as much as possible with our support by experts and 24/7 help center. Just apply with us and enjoy your trip.
- Do Americans need a visa for Sri Lanka?
- Sri Lanka visa for Afghanistan
- Sri Lanka visa for British citizens
- Sri Lanka visa for Brazilian citizens
- Sri Lanka visa requirements for Svalbard citizens
Sri Lanka Visa Requirements for India Citizens FAQs
No. Sri Lanka visa for Indian citizens is required. Indian nationals now can apply for Sri Lanka eVisas, which is more convenient and straightforward. The new online visa system was launched to expedite the visa application process, eliminating the need to stand in line at the embassy or consulate to apply for a regular visa. Until now, there are more than 150 countries that can utilize this online visa.
India is one of the eligible countries for Sri Lanka electronic travel authorization (ETA). This ETA is used to visit the country for various reasons including business, tourism, or transit. It is valid for 06 months from the date of issuance, allowing Indian travelers to stay in the country for up to 30 days.
In order to apply for an ETA, Indian passport holders must meet certain requirements for an eVisa. Firstly, they must possess a passport that is valid for at least 06 months from the intended arrival date in Sri Lanka. This passport must have 02 blank pages for verification from the Immigration Officer. Secondly, a valid email address is also required for the visa application to which the approved travel document will be sent. Once Indian citizens ensure that they have these documents at hand, they can begin the visa application process.
A Sri Lanka ETA has a validity of 06 months from the issued date, allowing a duration of stay up to 30 days for Indian citizens.
A Sri Lanka ETA for Indian citizens which is called Electronic Travel Authorization, is a travel document that Indian travelers need to obtain before traveling to Sri Lanka. The entire process of applying for a visa is entirely online, eliminating the need to visit an embassy or consulate. It takes the applicants only 15 minutes to complete the online application form and make payment for the visa fee.
The length of stay in Sri Lanka depends on the type of visa Indian citizens possess:
- Tourist eVisa: Indian nationals can stay in Sri Lanka for 30 days from the arrival date with double entries.
- Business eVisa: This type of visa permits a maximum stay of up to 30 days.
- Transit eVisa: Indians are allowed to stay at the airport for up to 02 days from the date of entry.
Once the ETA is issued, it will be sent to the email address of the applicants in PDF format. Indian travelers just need to download and print it out to present it at the border upon arrival. Indian nationals should arrive in Sri Lanka within the validity period of their visas, or their visa will automatically expire.
Yes. Indian visitors who wish to stay more than 30 days in Sri Lanka may apply for a visa extension. The short-term visit visa may be extended a maximum of up to 270 days from the date of arrival in three consecutive instances as granted 30 days on entry, 60 days at first extension, and 90 days for second and third instances.
Indian travelers need to submit their visa extension request at the Department of Immigration & Immigration (Head office). They can extend their stay in Sri Lanka with a tourist eVisa and a business eVisa. The transit electronic visa cannot be extended.
Sri Lanka Immigration Services strongly advise Indian travelers to apply for a visa extension in advance of the expiration date of their visa to avoid fines and inconveniences. If they extend the validity of their visa, they risk having their extension request denied, or even being detained.
Indian travelers need to register themselves by providing the requested details. They will be required to provide some details and upload some documents. In addition, Indian passport holders also need to make an appointment at the Head Office of the Department of Immigration and Emigration to pay for and endorse the visa on their passports.