Sri Lanka visa for German citizens: Requirements and Costs in December 2023
Germany is one of many countries whose citizens can enter Sri Lanka online by using Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). And, as a German citizen, you must obtain a Sri Lanka ETA/e-Visa prior to departure. Fortunately, that document is available online, and you can apply for it with Sri Lanka Immigration Services. The entire procedure is completely online, and you can have your result as quick as you wish.
This article will explain how to apply for a Sri Lanka visa for German citizens, as well as the requirements and costs.
1. Sri Lanka Visa for German citizens
To visit Sri Lanka as a tourist, German citizens must obtain an E-Visa since Germany is not in Sri Lanka’s exemption list. The maximum length of stay is 30 days with 2 entry times.
There are three types of ETAs (e-Visa) available to German citizens planning a trip to Sri Lanka:
- The Sri Lanka Tourist ETA is valid for 180 days after it is issued. Within those 180 days, it allows the holder to stay in Sri Lanka for 30 days from the date of arrival. This Sri Lanka travel visa also allows for two entries into Sri Lanka, provided that the second entry occurs within the tourist ETA's 30-day window.
- The Sri Lanka Business ETA is valid for 180 days after it is issued. Holders of a Business Electronic Travel Authorization can stay in Sri Lanka for up to 30 days. The Sri Lanka business visa online allows for multiple entries into the country, but all entries must be made within 30 days of the initial date of arrival.
- The Sri Lanka Transit ETA is valid for up to 180 days after it is issued. It is only for travelers who are using Sri Lanka as a connecting point for further travel. This online transit visa for Sri Lanka is only valid for two days, which means that all passengers can stay in Sri Lanka for no more than 48 hours.
Sri Lanka visa for German citizens
2. Check Sri Lanka visa requirements for German
Basically, the Sri Lanka government creates good conditions for travellers to visit so there are just a few simple things you need to prepare:
- Passport: Original German passport or travel document with at least 6 months validity remaining on the date of travel regardless of the type of Visa or ETA the traveler holds and at least 2 blank pages for stamping. A digital reproduction of the passport data page will be required.
- A current email address, as all correspondence, including the final decision on the ETA, will be conducted via email.
Note: In some cases, maybe you would be required to add a few side documents, such as:
- Proof of accommodation: like hotel booking (the hotel has to be the one in a list regulated by the government. It would be required in case you do not get enough vaccination.
- (Optional) Sri Lanka Travel Insurance to ensure your benefit and Sri Lanka SIM Card which can bring convenience to you.
- Sri Lanka Immigration Services provides Car pickup services in Sri Lanka now. Book a pick-up service to make your trip the most convenient by our attractive price.
Sri Lanka Visa requirements for German citizens
3. Sri Lanka visa for German citizens cost
To apply for a Sri Lanka visa online, German citizens have to pay two (02) kinds of Sri Lanka visa cost, which are called Service Fee and Government Fee. To be specific, the government fee cannot be adjusted, and the service fee will be depending on your demands.
There are 3 level of Sri Lanka visa for German citizens can choose:
- Normal: standardized waiting time type. You will receive your ETA visa within 3 business days.
- Urgent: shorter waiting time type. You can receive your ETA visa within 24 hours.
- Super urgent: rush cases designed. You can receive your ETA visa within just 5 business hours.
Payment method: after choosing a suitable type of service and completing the form, you need to proceed to the next step to complete the whole process. Both electronic payment or wire transfer are accepted. You can choose from many options, such as Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Paypal.
- Sri Lanka eTA Visa processing time
- Check Sri Lanka Visa status
- Discovery Sri Lanka visa promotion
- Sri Lanka visa for Indian citizens
- Sri Lanka visa for Brazilian citizens
- Sri Lanka visit visa for Pakistani
Sri Lanka Visa Requirements for Germany Citizens FAQs
Yes. The Government of Sri Lanka does not exclude Germany from the visa exemption list, thus German citizens must obtain a visa to visit Sri Lanka. Fortunately, Germany is one of the many countries whose citizens can travel to Sri Lanka on an ETA. ETA is an abbreviation for Electronic Travel Authorization which was launched by the Sri Lankan Government in 2012. It is valid for 06 months from the issued date. Until now, more than 250 countries are eligible for the Sri Lanka ETA.
As a German citizen, you can apply for a Sri Lanka visa online at Sri Lanka Immigration Services. The process is entirely online, and German nationals can get their travel documents in a few days. German travelers can choose the processing time of a Sri Lanka ETA depending on their travel needs and budget. However, it does not exceed 03 business days. Rush visa service is available to German citizens who need their ETA in a matter of hours. They should consider this service in case they have little time to prepare for their visa application before departure.
Most importantly, German passport holders need to put together some documents so that the process can get started.
The best time to apply for a Sri Lanka visa for German citizens may vary depending on individual circumstances and travel plans. However, it is generally advisable to apply for the visa well in advance of your intended travel dates to allow sufficient processing time and to account for any unexpected delays. The best time to apply for a Sri Lanka visa from Germany is at least 07 days before their travel. After the Sri Lanka visa application has been submitted, it is processed within 05 hours to 03 business days. The processing time of an ETA depends on the applicant’s choice.
How far in advance should you apply for a Sri Lanka visa?
Here are a few factors to consider when determining the best time to apply for a Sri Lanka visa:
The processing time for a Sri Lanka visa can vary. While it is typically a relatively quick process, it's always best to allow some buffer time. Sri Lanka Immigration Services created 3 different processing time options for the Sri Lanka ETA from which customers can choose the one that best suits their needs.
- Normal: This is a standardized waiting time option. German nationals will receive their ETA visa within 3 business days. This service is mostly chosen by Germans owing to its cheap fee.
- Urgent: German citizens can receive their ETA visa within 24 hours.
- Super urgent: This option is designed for German travelers who do not have enough time to wait for their visa in some cases. Sri Lanka Immigration Services will assist them to get their ETA within just 5 business hours.
Consider the peak of Sri Lanka's travel season and any significant holidays in this country. During busy periods, visa processing times may be longer due to higher application volumes. If German candidates plan to visit during a popular travel season, it is advisable to submit your visa application well in advance to avoid any potential delays.
Citizens of Germany must bear in mind that they will be charged differently depending on the processing time for their visas. In addition, Germans should ensure that they obtain enough required documents before beginning their application process for ETA. Therefore, the process will be smooth and quick.
Remember to check the Sri Lankan Embassy or contact Sri Lanka Immigration Services for the most up-to-date information and specific requirements for German citizens applying for a Sri Lanka visa.
No. German nationals must have a valid visa to enter and stay in Sri Lanka. According to visa policy of the Sri Lankan Government, a foreigner staying in Sri Lanka without a valid visa will be charged US $500 penalty in addition to the visa fee.
German passport holders can get a visa for Sri Lanka within a few minutes by completing a short online form at Sri Lanka Immigration Services. There are 3 simple steps that German citizens must follow in order to apply for a Sri Lanka ETA:
- Complete the visa application form: In this step, German travelers are required to provide some necessary information such as: the number of visas, type of visa, processing time, full name, date of birth, and passport number.
- The second step requires German citizens to pay the visa fee.
- Lastly, submit the form and wait for the result. If German travelers provide enough documents and accurate information, they will receive their visas in 3 business days. The approved travel document is sent to the applicant’s email address. Once Germans get their approved travel document, they should download and print it out. Upon arrival, they need to present their valid visa to the Immigration Officer at a border checkpoint to enter Sri Lanka.
Yes. German citizens must be aware of the latest update of the Government on Covid-19 requirements when visiting Sri Lanka. From June 17th, 2022, German nationals do not need to take the PCR or Rapid Antigen test before traveling to Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka offers German tourists various attractions for their vacation. Pristine beaches, pleasant weather, large wildlife parks, and Buddhist cultural sites make Sri Lanka an ideal destination for many travelers. It’s time for German nationals to leave behind all their worries and enjoy the astonishing beauty of Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka Immigration Services is here to help German travelers have the most memorable experience in this country.
If the 'required doses' of the COVID-19 vaccination are completed and German citizens depart from abroad two weeks after completion of vaccination, they will be considered as 'Fully Vaccinated'. All travelers who have obtained COVID-19 vaccines should carry proof of vaccination in English throughout their travel. In addition, German citizens are not required to submit a Health Declaration Form.
Moreover, German passport holders are recommended to obtain Covid-19 Insurance when visiting Sri Lanka. With this insurance, German travelers are more secure while they are in Sri Lanka. It covers up to US$ 50,000.00 expenses for medical costs, trip cancellation, and lost baggage.